Friday, August 31, 2012

My (soon to be) new Obsession

It's at about this time that I ask my husband if he's ready for the obsession that is to become a part of our household. An obsession so ridiculousy messy/untidy for a beginner that he may just have to hide from the aftermath of a fabric explosion....

Yes, you read right. I have embarked on a journey of Mammoth proportions (for me anyway). I am going to learn how to sew! With the help of one of these:

The Singer Talent 3321
I purchased this terrifying monster last Saturday and have yet to unpack it from it's straight jacket. You must by now realise that I am scared of the thing and even more so of hurting myself in the process of operating the jabbing, threading, sewing needled machine. At the same time, I am extremely excited at the prospect of teaching myself something new.
 
I am excited about the idea of mending all my and hubby's work trouser hems, as well as skirts (mine, not hubby's, his are well looked after...just kidding) and such. Not only this, but I'm looking forward to making sewn gifts (read: throw pillows, clever Pinterest ideas etc Because I totes don't know what to list here right now) and (wait for it) clothing. My very OWN clothing, to wear. Everyday. Am I being a bit too optimistic? I also think it could be handy to sew on a few cards.... or scrapbook layouts.... I digress. Wanna see some inspiration? (just click on the picture to take you to the original source)
 
Source: Tilly and the buttons. LOVE her clothes, she does vintage sooooo well*


Source: makeit-loveit. Gorgeous, too gorgeous.

Source: Aesthetic Nest. Can you just imagine giving a baby shower gift like this? And no, husband, I am not hinting at starting a nest...well, not yet anyway ;)


Source: ModaBakeshop. Ag man, I want a craft apron like this, I could wear it all day long.


 
I am also set on making this.... for my first project......compliments of Brett Bara
 
And, as with all things crafty, I'll be blogging my sewing journey here. One thing I can confidently say, is that I've just stepped up on another rung, on the ladder to becoming Suzie Homemaker, and I am in my element :)
 
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you success in your new hobby. It can be fun. I have sewn since a very young girl, and now after so many years, have given it up...no regrets. Enjoy and have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your new machine, looking forward to seeing all your sewing creations.

    P.S. I the first photo of the lady in the pink skirt - I have paper just like that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased and proud of you!! I have a modern sewing machine (Jones) but my first love is my antique Singer Featherweight (I have two actually....err...and another one that you have to turn the handle on the side..haahaa), and you'll find that sewing becomes addictive....yep....another addiction that you'll never get better from! Can't wait to see what you get up to.....oh, and less of the cheek on my blog comments, please..hahaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new purchase and the new goals! I hope you have great success with it! I used to sew some -- now I rarely even drag the machine out to sew on my cards; which is a shame since I love the look of it. I hope your passion for it continues to grow!!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....