Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Crafting = Business? or not?

I know that many a crafter wish that they could make a business out of what they do. Be it papercrafts, sewing, knitting etc, many of us have dreamed of making it into some sort of business and earning an income from it.

I was one of those crafters.

I am no longer (well, at least not for now).

I tried to go the wedding and party stationery route, but I have since realised that the added pressure of trying to market a business, thinking of all the loop holes in your costing sheets (and how to fix them), how to order and purchase stock when the supplier is quite a long stretch away from your house and you only have weekends to so, how to deal with a customer that is indecisive and changes their mind a million many times before deciding on the final product. All the above and more.

I realised that my sanity is not worth giving up for the sake of a small start up business, that started because I love what I do in my spare time. Let me just clear the air on one thing, I have a full time job. I am a financial administrator for a fairly large company and I am kept busy throughout the day. When I get home at night, I am like so many others. I want to relax. I cannot do that if I am constantly having to work on orders, quotes and business plans (on paper or in my head).

I like my hobby, in fact I would go so far as to say I love it. I love the fact that when I craft I get to forget about the things that bother me. The only thing that matters is the sound of the paper being cut through by my stanley knife. The sound of the glue as it gets squeezed within an inch of it's plastic life, because I try to get every last drop out. The sound of the scissors as they snip away at unwanted wire, string and paper. The sound of my Silhouette machine as it slices whatever design I recently purhased. I don't have to talk, I don't have to keep quiet. I can do as I please. I havn't felt like I could that lately.

Maybe one day I will give it another go. I am not sure. For now I'll stick to doing favours for friends if they need anything craft related, and shy away from any sort of formal orders.

I don't like to think that I failed. I think I gave it a go and realised that it wasn't for me.

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Well, Petra, you certainly are not a failure, you gave it a go and found-out that it was the wrong time to do it.
    Have you tried an on-line store, that way you make what you want and still make a little money from it to cover expenses?
    I certainly could not work with brides-to-be and still be sane. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. To "fail" implies that you HAVE tried, hence throwing away the bad sound of "fail". See this pin as this might describe it better; http://pinterest.com/pin/213921051020365009/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Petra, me little ducky! Of course you didn't fail.....you just tried something that you love to do...but on a larger scale...and you were successful at it, too! This time of your life is not the right time, that's all....you have other priorities......A Time and Season, my friend....A Time and Season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P, have to agree with the three wise ladies. To try doesn't mean to fail. It means you tried. That's more than many of us can say. You tried and were wise enough to know it wasn't right for right now. Sending huge hug for your success in having enough work to feel over loaded. Can't have failed because you didn't have time to sit and thumb twiddle.
    Jumping in joy that maybe we will be seeing more of you. Hugs and treats all around as "they" must be starving;)

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....