Monday, May 28, 2012

Gigantasaurus cuttlebug embossing tutorial

Although I didn't post this on Friday evening, here it is as promised. An embossing tutorial for a large area, using a cuttlebug embossing folder.

First off, let me start by showing you a little paper saving tip that I have been utilising since Lara Hanna taught it to me many, many, many moons ago.

I started the layout by choosing my paper, and layering in such a way that I knew how much space I would need as a border on my Pink cardstock. I marked each corner, so I could see where to cut my lines.



I use a Stanley/carpet knife when I craft, it is so much cheaper than the gimmicky craft knives out there, and I find the blades are sturdier. I have never liked a paper trimmer much, but by all means use it if that's what you are more comfortable with.

I cut along all the lines and my sheet looked like this:


Logically, the next step is to remove the inner square that has been cut out.


The outer square is the part that i embossed using a cuttelbug folder. Bear in mind that this is a full 12x12 inch sheet and would never fit in my cuttlebug. So, using the cuttlebug was out of the question.

I desperately wanted to add some embossing to the pink sheet, because I felt it needed some depth. Amazing what you think of when your eyes roam your craft space. I picked up my hammer, that has a rounded ball on the back of the head and an embossing folder and went on a mad embossing challenge.



I am sure your hammer looks the same, I got mine in a setter kit so it's a pretty standard crafting hammer. I placed the paper between the folds of the embossing folder in stages and 'rolled', quite hard, with the back of the hammer down onto the embossing folder. This left the embossed impression quite nicely. See below for a picturesque explanation :)



The finished product is on my last post, but here a close up of the finished product:


I hope this helps you in your own crafty quest for scrapbooking and card making greatness, I would love to see your finished products!

Until my next post*

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. A great tip for embossing larger area's....the finished project looks lovely. I use the paper saving 'technique' myself - I hate the thought of pretty paper or card just hidden away when I could use it elsewhere lol. Hugs lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never would have thought of a ball peen hammer P! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI P.,

    Great idea using the hammer. Still love the little peak at the ribbon in the tear.

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....