Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sewing: A Pink Plaid Winter skirt

Do you remember the disaster that was the checked skirt? If you don't, here's a direct link... I guarantee it will make your day! lols!

It's taken some time to get back into the swing of sewing clothes...not that I was swinging in the first place. More like hanging from my fingernails? Granted, I have yet to go for lessons so that I can actually sew from patterns, but I've always been one to wing it so this wasn't any different.


This material is over a year old, let's not go into the topic of hoarding shall we? I always knew what I wanted to do with it, so there. It's almost like a flannel, yet not quite? If you'd like to come and examine it, you may, but I don't really think it matters.



This is probably the sum total of tools that I used, not pictured is a needle (to sew on the buttons). I didn't even use a tape measure people, I just wrapped the fabric around my body (shakes head and laughs).Please note that I have finally acquired my own pair of Fabric scissors :)

So, anyway, moving along swiftly. This was a really quick project, it took me two hours from start to finish (including making a salad to go with dinner). Maybe it was the fact that I had a furry helper? I don't know, maybe it was the fact that I just cut and sewed...professional seamstresses are cringing at me right now.


I thought I would take a moment to show you how stylishly I pushed the foot pedal, and show you my stunning new shoes from Brazil. I received them from visitors to our offices, after assisting them with travel arrangements. How sweet? and thoughtful? I was only doing my job after all :)


If I had to explain how I did this, it would be:

Step 1: Wrap the material around your body, measure how long and how wide it needs to be, add a bit extra for hem lines
Step 2: Cut the needed fabric out
Step 3: Sew hems along the top and bottom. Make sure you iron the hem down first, to ensure easier sewing, and avoiding the use of too many needles. Sew hems into the sides following the same principle.
Step 4: Wrap the fabric around your body again, make sure the lines of the fabric run straight. Pin the areas you need to sew together. Pinch the pieces at your sides (muffin tops), to indicate where your darts need to be.
Step 5: Sew the darts in
Step 6: Measure the fabric around your waist again to make sure you know where to sew the pieces together.
Step 7: Sew the skirt closed...in hindsight I should have just created button holes, as now I have to put the skirt on over my head!
Step 8: Sew on the buttons
Step 9: Put skirt on and pose for camera



 
I will actually be wearing this skirt this winter, and am quite pleased with the result...who would have known?
 
xoxo
 

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought of modeling?
    Lovely skirt and love, love, love the colors and your description of the process. Guessing you are now studying up on tutu making.

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....