Sunday, March 30, 2014

Decorating the Schmikal household

I've been working on a number of projects over the last month, and though I can't seem to find myself blogging about them, I sure have spent a lot of time on them. I've made cards, I'm working on a revamp of an old scrapbook album (this is going to be a post by next month...complete with advice on why you should ALWAYS complete your themed albums), I've sewn, and I've been working on another altered canvas.

I've taken on a new style of crafting, I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm sure you've noticed it in my more recent posts. I am seeing cleaner lines, more colour, bigger variety. I went through a couple of my older projects (say 4 years back) and I just about doubled over laughing at my earlier attempts...we all have to start somewhere and I firmly believe I still have a long way to go.

So, I have this friend at work. Her name is Michelle, awesome woman. She saw my blog post on the altered canvas I did of Charlene and I last year and commissioned me to do one for her, of her beautiful twin girls. Let me tell you, it is a lot more nerve wrecking when you are being paid to craft something like this for someone else. When you do it as a gift, you don't really put as much pressure on yourself, and you're a bit more selfish in terms of the items you use (because it's more to your taste, and not really the recipient's). When you are being paid, you have to make sure it is perfect, you have to make sure that they like it, you have to make sure it is against spec, you have to make sure that you don't mess it up.

This canvas was MUCH bigger than the one I made for Charlene. It was probably about a good meter wide, where the one for Charlene was around 15cm wide.



I did take a few photo's as the canvas progressed, but I don't think it's necessary to post them here. I started prepping the canvas by painting the entire piece with white paint (Note: all paint used on this was acrylic - Heritage brand), followed by the hand stencilled pink and blue circles and horizontal lines.

Next came a layer of Modge Podge to act as a sealant, and an adhesive for the four photographs (all identical). A second layer of Modge Podge followed after this.


I then added a base layer of crackle paint, and followed with a layer of 'Large Crack' crackle paint. It worked out really well and the cracks look beautiful, they added so much depth to the piece, more texture.

Once this layer had dried, I added the pink swirls (Making Memories), blue rhinestones (Prima), and flat backed pearls (in three colours, creating an ombre effect from dark to light). I lathered it with two layers of Heritage varnish and placed all of the flowers (All Petaloo - my absolute favourites), and butterflies (Prima).



I hid the Twins names in the canvas, Max & Lex. Ironically, I got it exactly right, without asking, with regards to which sides of the photo the twins are sitting :) Max is on the left, with Lex on the right.

Michelle says she loves it, and I really hope that she does. She got to open it on Friday at work, and I took the camera with to get her reaction...









 
May the piece have a long and happy place in your home Michelle! I absolutely loved putting it together for you!
xoxo

2 comments:

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....