Saturday, February 9, 2013

CAL: One Dog Woof!

Strange title for a blog post I know, but not until you understand it. Along with learning how to sew this year, I really want to learn how to crochet. I decided this when a visit to my gran in December had me gifted with a beautiful crocheted bag and viewings of other items she had crocheted herself. I don't know much about crochet, but I do know that I think my gran is a master. Remind me to post a picture of the vintage Shawl she made out of mohair for herself to wear to my parents wedding. I was gifted this as well and will treasure it the rest of my life. Love you Gran, you are my crafting inspiration!

So, now for the title explanation. CAL stands for Crochet Along, and I have joined one over at One Dog Woof. ChiWei has a full explanation on how she chose the name One Dog Woof for her blog, if you're interested in looking at her more about me page :)

I have quite a few papercrafting friends that like to crochet, I know you're reading ladies, and I thought this would be fun to share with them. Heck, I think this would be fun for everyone to join in! The CAL is for beginners and veterans alike and will have us making a double strand infinity cowl.

If you're interested in seeing the timeline for the project, you can look here. And if you're eager to get started, we've been given our first 'assignment', which you can find here. The best way to tag along, I think, would probably be to add the blog link to your followed blogs so that you get regular updates. It's what I've done, else I would struggle to remember the dates given in the timeline.

Here is a picture of the cowl we'll be making (lovingly borrowed from ChiWei's blog)


Of course, being a tiny bit OC, I have purchased four different crochet hooks and two different colour yarns (all before I saw the pattern...silly me), none of which fit the spec for the pattern. LOL's! Too funny, but I wanted to get started and will get started following a couple of tutorials online in the meantime so that I can get my crochet brain cap fitting nicely.

I will have to go get the specified yarn and crochet hook some time in the week, but in the mean time, I'm going to sit here in my little corner of the world and get better acquainted with the hobby that my gran so loves*

This truly is my year for learning new things.

xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I think you will enjoy learning how to crochet :o) Good luck and remember to share your progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, I was taught by my gran many, many years ago, as my Mom was left handed and I just couldn't get it right, so gran took over. hugs, Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pastime P and nothing better than treasures from someone you love and admire. Why I learned to tat, my great-grandmother always fascinated me as a cild with her hands flying and shuttle moving. Cherish the pieces I have from her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! I am glad someone I know is going to do this too! you are to funny buying yarn and hooks and not having the sizes you need I have several hooks and also yarn and none of which were any good for this either but I have got some Now so look forward in getting started and also will look forward to seeing yours too! hugs Samantha xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Petra you are just way too practical, the only thing I crochet is cute little animals, your cowl would be far more useful. Its a lovely pasttime and I am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....