Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy Thoughts

It seems to be a craft filled evening for me today, the combination of challenges and receiving happy mail from a crafting friend in Germany (thank you Maria!) have truly given me an oomph. A much needed one at that, I have been feeling under the weather the last two days, nothing too serious, just a bit of a head cold I think.

Maria sent me a lovely background set of stamps which I used for inspiration in combination with a challenge I found.

I used another two new techniques on this one...masking and colouring/inking over embossed areas. Doing all these 'new' techniques, really have me thinking that it might be useful for beginners if I did a couple of simple tutorials. I'll think on it and get back to you all on that one, I think it could turn into a lot of work.

I'm not really sure about the bear image on this one, it was a second hand stamp that wasn't labelled with the company or name. Sorry. I stamped the bear image twice and used the second one to mask the first before stamping the background image in a clear ink. I then heat embossed the background image and carefully inked over it with my light blue Mica ink pad. I wiped off the excess blue ink and voila! the clear image made it's appearance :) The background stamp is by My Paper World and is called Vintage Lace (Art. Nr 400301800).


The sentiment is stamped in the same green as used for the grass, and is from a Kaisercraft set greeting stamp set that I have. If you live in South Africa, these Kaisercraft stamp sets can be bought at a variety of stores, mine are from Crafters Market and Scrapbook and Things. Kaisercraft is an Australian brand, so all you Ozzies should find it pretty easily I'm assuming?



I coloured the bear, kitty and flowers with a combination of Promarkers and Sharpies. Cats always seem to call for orange when I colour and this time was no different :) I used a dark green stamp pad to ink the grass patches, this took quite a bit of technique on my part to avoid having straight edged lines when inking straight from the pad, I pat myself on the back when I was done (excuse the bragging).

TOP TIP: I think my top tip today is very much linked to the technique I used on my card. You do not always need to have the latest product on hand to get the effect you want. Use an ink pad, for example, to create the illusion of a mist spray. It's cheaper, saves you space and challenges your inner creativity!

UPDATE: I won the Top Tip Tuesday's 'Top Tip' award for this post! woohoo!

No need to guess then that I'm entering the following challenge:

Top Tip Tuesday - Fur or Feathers

Have a happy Tuesday evening, may your Hump day approach quickly!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, Thanks for sharing your great Top Tip too! Thanks for Playing along with us this time at Top Tip Tuesday Challenge, hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog world, I'm lucky follower #40 now. Adorable image and you've done a terrific job coloring it. So happy you could join us at Top Tip Tuesday.

    Remember you can enter up to 3 projects and 3 tips. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fab. Love the design with your background and image. Fab tip too. Thanks for playing at Top Tip Tuesday and good luck, Hope to see you back tuesday for a new challenge. Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....