Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Let them eat cake

I have recently begun an obsession with baking. Not that my hips are thanking me... maybe they are, it being winter and them needing some extra coverage?  I dug out a cupcake recipe book, that I've had for ages and never used, a while back and decided I wanted to make something grand. Not a regular ole chocolate or vanilla cupcake but something special. You know, something that makes other people go green with jealousy because they just wish they could bake as fantastically well as you. You know, because that's what happens when you make something unusual, people think you're some sort of genius or something...

So I found two recipes, the second one hubby is not too fond of as it contains a pet food hate for him. Mention the word Carrot and he literally goes orange at the thought of putting it in his mouth.

I do still want to make the carrot cake cupcakes, but I have had too many other things on my proverbial plate to make them since I made the cupcakes being showcased today.

They're called Ruby Red cupcakes, why they're called ruby red, I have no idea, because I put about half a bottle of red food colouring in (recipe called for only a teaspoon - 5ml's) and it still looked like chocolate! Not very fancy if you ask me.

Step One: Creaming the butter, sugar and vanilla essence



Step Two: Sifting together the dry ingredients




Step Three: I had a really HUGE fail moment and my Electric mixer died on me. RIP

Step Four: Mix dry and wet ingredients together, add buttermilk and red food colouring.

Step Five: Place cupcake wrappers in baking tins (or in my case, silicone 'tins') and fill halfway with cupcake mix.


Step Six: Watch very closely while in oven, allowing mouth to salivate and drool onto floor. This creates anticipation for the baked goodness to come.


Step Seven: Repeat cupcake baking until all the mixture is used, I ended up with 36 chocolate looking goodies.


Step Eight: Cool cupcakes, make red pink icing (I need help in the food colouring department)


Step Nine: Ice Cupcakes and place in airtight containers to keep fresh until devoured.


Step Ten:



XOXO

4 comments:

  1. These were delicious - My hips loved them - it's my pants that are fighting with me :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy! Step 6 is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks scrumptious........hmmm and cake: I don't need two hands to eat cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, why not have cupcakes for supper, that way you save on the washing-up. lol

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....