Friday, September 9, 2011

Back to School/Teacher Challenge at AiFactory!

I realise that I was quite a tease in yesterday's post, but what's a girl to do? Anyway, it's here today, so you can now see if you guessed right at what it was :)

We are hosting the first challenge on AiFactory's new blog, and what fun it promises to be! School has started in most places now so we would love to see that back to school/hooray for teacher card or project!    BUT, there is a catch to entering this time...we would like you to use this digi image from AiFgraphics. 



I have placed the watermarked image here, but it is available as a freebie on the challenge site here. The freebie will only be up for a limited time, so if you want to play then you will have to grab it quickly!  After that you can find it for sale in the store here.

You will have 2 weeks to upload your project using the link below the challenge post.  The winner will receive a $5 gift certificate to the store or a random pick of 3 images from our DT co-ordinator!

Here in SA, the kids start their school years at the end of January. Currently the kids are all in the 3rd term or 2nd semester so I struggled for an idea for this challenge. You all know how I love to make things that I will give away or use myself.

The light bulb went on in my head when I caught sight of a set of tea light candles in my stash... why not combine a gift with a card? It could be suitable for a teacher any time of the year! So that's what I did, I created a box/card! I didn't use a template of any kind, I seem to blessed with the ability to create 3D projects out of my head using the dimensions I need. So, if you would like instructions on how to make this version of a box plus card I would be more than happy to e-mail you.

First, a couple of close ups.

     

I started with colouring my image before choosing the paper so went bonkers with my Sharpies. I LOVE the one green shade that I have and couldn't resist. Of course, how could I not colour the apple ruby red?
Before I list all the other stuff I used, I must tell you that ALL of it is some sort of a scrap or long unused item in my stash. I am staying true to my word about not buying any more new stash until my scrap paper is used up, and I find this is flowing over into long forgotten embellishments as well.

The project has been laid out so that the box is on the left, and the card is on the right. I chose scrap DP that complimented the colouring on the image and set to work. I think the element that took the longest on this entire project was the ribbon ruffle. I had to cut pieces all of the same length, fold them in half and then adhere them, following with a long strip of the same ribbon to cover the ends.
I used an array of embellishments; a charm, tag, perspex flowers, fabric flowers, gems and a ladybug clothes peg.

The closed card and box look like this:


The box is actually just a shell for the tray of tea lights that I had. The tray fits snugly into the enclosure and easily slides out. The card opens upwards, instead of to the side.


Come along and join us at the challenge! Can't wait to see your creations! I hope you have a stunner of a day and an even better weekend :)

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Well, I was more than half right yesterday! Only off on the image. So I guess that still makes me wrong. She's a cutie (yes I registered) and I really love you project P. Need to teach me 3D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What teacher wouldn't love this gift box and card? It's amazing you can do the 3d stuff off the top of your head. Wonderful project, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! love your clever idea, petra!

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....