Thursday, June 9, 2011

Use something New! challenge at AiFactory

Yep, that time again folks, Thursday! One day before Friday (and the inevitable weekend!) and THE day for a challenge at AiFactory Challenge Blog!

This week you need to use something new in your project, is it new stash? a new technique? show us what you got! you can check out what the DT have created and enter your creation here!

I got to play with this cute set called Mermaid under the sea, and it can be found for purchase at the store here. Here's a sneak at what it looks like:


If you'd like to try before you buy, you could always use a freebie on your project...bonus! And I've spied the freebies too, you could use the 'My shining star' in an under the sea project like mine....just saying...Though we really don't mind if you don't use an AiF image on your entry :)

Anyway, on to my creation for the challenge! My take on the use something new theme was to use new paper, cringe! Yes, I ignored the evil paper scraps and used new, big, clean (well all of it is clean so this isn't really a factor), fresh paper! sigh....

I coloured a few fishies, star fishies, and seaweed with my brilliant Sharpies! You'll notice I flipped the fish horizontally as well so I could have some facing the opposite direction, makes it look so much more 'realistic'.

I then rounded off the fishies with googly eyes from my stash and gave them air bubbles using groups of clear beads. I placed the star fishes as coloured, and the seaweed too...



When I placed the fishies on my card, I raised one of the fishes on foam for a bit of PoP!



I did the same with my sentiment, which was made in Microsoft word (clever me!) and then coloured with Sharpies... PS. I coloured the sentiment while cooking supper so every time I had to check the ink would dry! thus the lovely visible lines... I could have recoloured but I really didn't want to pretend I was perfect :) This is how we learn.


As you can see, I used my swirls cutlebug folder on the blue cardstock, I thought i gave my 'water' a bit more texture. I then hid the fold join with a piece of patterned ribbon. 'Rocks' were placed on the sea bed  by cutting a half circle with my Martha Stewart circle cutter, and then cutting it just so, so that I could place a piece on either side of the card. I like the effect.


Hope you're inspired and that you'll join us at the challenge blog this week! Have a fabby Thursday!

5 comments:

  1. P, love love the fish - great coloring and agree flipping one is a better balance to the card. Air bubbles are a great touch and starfish too cute on the "sandy bottoms." Well done and glad you are starting to feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Love the squiggle eyes and the bubbles. That embossing folder makes really good water too (hadn't thought of it that way before).

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great card Petra!! love those bubble and eyes!! great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute.Love your colouring and the googly eyes.How brave to use new papers!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....