Thursday, April 21, 2011

AiFactory Challenge: Flowers in Bloom

So, while my american, UK and European friends are celebrating the arrival of their Spring, I am fearfully looking towards winter. Already I have had to wear warm clothes all week long because the african sun has been hiding it's face behind cold weather bringing clouds, mist and wind.

How nice then, for me to make a card that has reminders of warmer times on it :)

As you can read from the post title, the theme this week is Flowers in Bloom. You can enter and check out the fabby DT creations at the Challenge blog here. As you might know by now, we love to see creations you've made with AiF images, and you can even find some freebies here at the store! And if you dont use an AiF image, we'd still love to see your project :)
The DT were given this really sweet clip art set called The lady bug baby to work with. You even have a chance at winning the set if you enter this week! how awesome is that?
Here is a peek at what the set looks like:


Cute dont you think? And even if you're not feeling in a cutesy mood, you could always make a little something similar to what I created this week....

I chose not to use the lady bug baby, the lady bug or the flower with the lady bug in it. Instead, I chose the flower group and the almost cherry blossom looking stem. I printed off two copies of the group of flowers and cut out the largest flower from each. I used one of the flowers as a base and then added depth by cutting out one of the petals from the second flower and pulling the two petals on either end of the cutout together to create a smaller flower with creases. I then put this smaller flower through my cttlebug using an embossing folder. I then inked both flowers in roan and finished the layered flower off with a button threaded with Jute chord.


I used a blue cardstock for the base, and used the leftovers from this to punch two lengths with my martha stewart lace punch. You can see one of the strips in the photo above. The brown pattern used for a matt was out of my never ending scrap paper pile, as was the pretty flower scrap adhered over that.

I layered all the paper and added the cherry blossom stem underneath one of the punched strips and over the other. The entire thing was inked in roan. I then added brown flat backed pearls to the centers of the flowers for some PoP!


The sentiment is actually from one of the sets I have used for this months card kits, I decided to use it because I plan on giving this card to my lovely friend that is getting married next weekend. I cut inverted arrows into a strip of scrap cream cardstock and inked it in roan. I then stamped the sentiment in black and heat embossed.


I finished the card off with a little jute chord along the top and Bob's your uncle it was done!



Hope you all enjoyed my take on the challenge this week, I quite enjoyed making it :)

Have a lovely Thursday!

8 comments:

  1. Petra this is absolutely gorgeous and so sophisticated. This I thought was the best part of the set and I am so glad you decided to use it. The happy couple will be delighted with it.

    love Mandy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petra, the concert was ACE. !!!

    My hubby has epilepsy and we had booked seats but they were all taken so I told the security and they let us into the disabled section so he could sit down and it was on a balcony right at the front.

    Her voice was soo amazing. Hubby said she sounds better live than on the records. We were lucky to see her before she got famous and I am glad to say that now she is, she hasn't changed a bit. Still down to earth, self deprecating and 'normal'.

    If you do ever get chance to see her take the opportunity with both hands. You will not be sorry :)

    Love Mandy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous wedding card! Love how you used the flower as your focal point. I'm sure your friends will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P....you've outdone yourself...I'm gobsmacked at how beautiful this is...well done! Will swap the too-hot sunshine we're havin'...gimme snow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very beautiful card,,

    Uhooi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Due to my blog receiving in excess of 100 spam comments per week, I have been forced to activate Word verification in order to prove that you are not a robot!

Apologies to the REAL people out there who now have to go through this painful exercise.....